Friday, August 16, 2013

Keeway Hacker 150cc Scooter + Linksys WRT54G Router Running DD-WRT

Today I am looking for the right place to mount a WRT54G router in my 150cc Keeway scooter.  In the last post I built a JTAG cable to revive some Linksys routers.  Not only did I revive a WRT54G, I ended up making a great USB parallel port breakout for use with a breadboard.  


So today, I set off to see whether or not a Linksys router, running DD-WRT, could find a spot somewhere in my Keeway Hacker 150cc Scooter.  With a name like that I just couldn't resist.  I had spent a few days hunting for the best place.  I did not, just want to throw mount it under the seat.  I use the compartment for my spare passenger helmet and did not want to give it up.  Also, I wanted the router completely concealed.  In my search I ended up removing the whole seat.  I was thinking of mounting it around the inside of the body where the tail brake light is located or toward the gas tank.  However, those locations just did not have enough real estate.  


Finally, looking under the front "hood" compartment of the scooter.  I managed to find that by turning the router upside down there was just the right amount of space.  The fit was extremely tight but by removing one antenna and then maneuvering the router into place it would make it.



I was able to screw the antenna back on, once the router made it all the way in.  In the end I managed to find a great spot.  I liked it so much I wired up power and five minutes later I can close it all up.  Now I can play around with the little router from any computer on the network.


This project gave me some good ideas for future projects.  Making the tail brake light completely addressable and controlling it with aforementioned router, for one.  And maybe a temperature and RPM sensor for the engine as another.  I have a lot planned for this little scooter.  My next go at this will probably be to add a SD card reader to the router and populate the serial port(s).


3 comments: